Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Recipe #33 - Italian Easter Egg Wreath

_______________________________________________________________________________

I needed an Easter recipe, so I posted on my Facebook wall asking my friends for suggestions. It came down to two recipes: Deep Fried Coyote (suggested by my Uncle Mike) and Italian Easter Egg Wreath (suggested by my friend Amanda Loveday). Though I credit my uncle for his ballsy, creative submission, but the decision to make the Italian Easter Egg Wreath was simple.

Seeing as I have never heard of an Italian Easter Egg Wreath, I consulted my best friend: Google. After filtering through quite a few recipes, I decided to pull from a couple different ones, but mainly followed one I found on AllRecipes.com.


In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast; stir well. Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan. Heat until milk is warm and butter is softened but not melted.


Gradually add the milk and butter to the flour mixture; stirring constantly. Add two eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.


Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oiil. Cover with a warm, damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until dough doubles in volume. About 1 hour and 20 minutes, depending on how warm the place you set the dough.


Deflate the dough and turn it out on at a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal size rounds; cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Roll each round into a long roll about 36 inches long and 1 inch think. Using the two long pieces of dough, form a loosely braided (twisted) ring. leaving spaces for the five colored eggs. Seal the ends of the ring together and use your fingers to slide the eggs between the braids of dough.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place loaf on a buttered baking sheet and cover loosely with a damp towel. Place loaf in a warm place and let rise until doubled in bulk, about an hour. Brush risen loaf with melted butter.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. (Check every 5 minutes or so, because mine baked a lot faster than time mentioned in the original recipe.)


One thing the recipe didn't mention, but I found on another recipe: Do not cook the eggs before, they will bake along with the bread in the oven. I had already hard boiled and dyed mine when I found this out, so they were double cooked, and discarded after the bread was eaten. Also, you can add sprinkles to the top of the bread to bring more color in as well.

This was my very first bread that I made from scratch. I have seen my mother make them growing up, but never participated in the process. I used to braid bread all the time when I worked at Subway in high school, so that part was very simple.

I had fun making this recipe! It was very festive. I loved the sweet smell of the bread baking that filled the house. I wish they made a "Freshly Baked Bread" scented candle. Bc I'd buy it!

However, I did forget to take off my rings and bracelets while I was kneading the dough and it was almost impossible to get it out of all the crevasses. Lol. Lesson learned.

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

Rating: 6
Time: 4 hours total
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
5 whole eggs, dyed if desired
2 tablespoons butter, melted

No comments:

Post a Comment