Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Recipe #31 - Dominican Chimichurri Burgers

______________________________________________________________________________

So my attempt at stepping outside the box and making something a little different didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I wanted to make a burger with a twist and found this recipe at epicurious.com.


What pairs perfectly with a burger?! Home brewed beer, of course! My dad just finished putting his home brew into a keg that my brothers bought him for Christmas. All day he kept saying, "You know what would fix that? A beer from the keg." or "You know what would go well with that (talking about cereal)? A beer from the keg." So, finally, he got to have his beer from the keg.


Start by mixing together the beef onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, oregano, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, a scant 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Form into 4 (4 1/2-inch-wide) patties. I had a little more beef than the recipe suggested, so I had enough to make one more patty.


Heat on a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until hot, then lightly toast buns. Oil skillet, then cook patties, turning once, about 8 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to buns.


Mix together cabbage, carrot and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then cook, turning occasionally, until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Divide among burgers.


Oil skillet again, then sear onion and tomato, turning once, until slightly charred, about 2 minutes total. Divide among burgers.


Stir together ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard, then top burgers with sauce.


Looks pretty huh? There was just a lot going on in this recipe. A lot of different flavors and ingredients that seemed to clash rather than blend together like I was anticipating. At least in my opinion. My sister and mother, however, loved this recipe. It really wasn't that bad I guess, but the flavors were very confusing for my father and I.

Time: 45 minutes
Rating: 4
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
1 1/4 pound ground beef chuck
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4 hamburger buns, split
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 carrot, coarsely grated
1 small red onion, cut into rings
1 tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard

1 comment:

  1. This was like an explosion of flavors in my mouth. You almost can't call it a hamburger there is so much going on in there. It doesn't really need a bun but it was a great way to getthat excellent sauce on the meat conglomeration. I rate this as about a 6 or 7 as a burger but it gets a higher rating if you call it like little mini meat loaves or something.

    Oh yeah, BTW. It pairs really well with beer from my new keg!!

    ReplyDelete