Monday, April 4, 2011

Recipe #28 - Chinese Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing

_______________________________________________________________________________

This was the other recipe I found in the Commercial Appeal. The words "peanut butter" and "salad" jumped out at me. It's def not something I'd ever considered putting in a salad before. So, I gave it a go.


I decided not to buy already cooked shredded chicken. For one thing, I couldn't find it organic. Secondly, every time I've bought it before it tasted so fake and processed and I'd rather of not had it in the recipe at all. So I took the extra 15 mins to prep and cook organic boneless chicken breasts.

Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet. Cook on medium heat until there is no pink in the middle. Set it to the side and let cool before shredding.


For the dressing:
In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, canola oil and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


For the salad:
Bring salter water to a boil in a medium pot. Add snow peas and cook until vibrant green and crisp tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the peas and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Then place the peas in a large salad bowl.

Add the salad blend, shredded chicken, carrots, scallions, cilantro, and peanuts (I chopped the peanuts up in a food processor) and toss. Add the dressing to taste and gently toss to coat. Garnish with lime wedges. Serve immediately.


Wow. This was a killer recipe. My father and I fought over the leftovers the next day while waiting for the Tuscan Lemon Chicken to cook. The peanut dressing with the crunch of the lettuce and carrots was something I've never tasted before, yet blended together surprisingly perfect.

I'm glad I made the fresh chicken. If I would have tasted that processed crap with the rest of the ingredients, I think it would have ruined the awesomeness that this recipe was able to produce. It's def in my top 25 at the moment.

Rating: 10
Time: 45 mins
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
For the dressing:
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh peeled ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon taosted sesame oil
1/2 cup canola oil
1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

For the salad:
1/2 cup Peanut Dressing (or to taste)
1/2 cup fresh snow peas
1 bag (5 oz.) spring mix salad blend
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 carrots, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a traditional grater
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
2 limes, quartered for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment