Friday, April 1, 2011

Recipe #27 - Parmesan-Potato-Crusted Halibut with Roasted Tomato-Zucchini "Salsa"

_______________________________________________________________________________

I had a guest to cook for this time, which was very refreshing. I'm beginning to be able to read my parents' faces like a book whether they like or dislike the recipe. Probably not a good thing, lol.

So, I had the pleasure of meeting and cooking for the talented John Bukaty. He is a family friend of my third cousin, Billy Hodes and much of the Hodes family.  He generously donated a piece of art to my Silent Art Auction and Wine Tasting for St. Jude back in September.

John was headed through Memphis in the process of relocating in New Orleans and needed a place to stay for the night. Luckily for him, I'm on a cooking roll this year :)

Check out his inspiring story and impressive art work at http://johnbukaty.com.  


I found this recipe in the "Food Features" section of the Wednesday edition of The Commercial Appeal. It was titled "Dinner for Two", but, of course, when I cook it's never just a dinner for two. So, naturally, I doubled the recipe.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the tomatoes and zucchini out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes. Immediately transfer to a bowl and add the garlic, scallion, Italian seasoning and sherry vinegar. (The heat from the vegetables will soften the garlic, scallion and seasoning.) Set aside.


Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees. Combine the Parmesan, potato flakes, thyme and salt and pepper. Press even amounts onto the top side of the halibut filets. Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.


Quickly flip each fish fillet, coated side down and cook until golden brown, but not browned. Carefully flip and sear the other side. Transfer to a baking sheet.


Finish cooking in the oven another 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve over the warm salsa.


I paired the fish with my father's last bottle of his homemade chardonnay that he brewed, bottled and donated to the Silent Art Auction & Wine Tasting event. It was bittersweet to watch it go, but muy tasty.


I paired the halibut with Recipe #26 - Snow Covered Green Beans. The lemon juice in the beans complimented the fish very well. This seems like a complicated recipe, but it went very smoothly, especially if you have a everything cut up and portioned before hand.

Bukaty made a comparison between cooking and painting before he left. He said that before starting a painting, like starting a recipe, you have to have all your "tools" laid out. You have to have your "ingredients" portioned out and you have to be able to visualize the end product.

I thought it was an extremely insightful observation. Being an artist and now becoming a cook, I was able to relate on both levels.

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Rating: 7
Serves: 2
Ingredients:
For the salsa:
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly pepper, to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or to taste

For the fish:
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 (6 to 8-oz.) halibut fillets, skinned

1 comment:

  1. The best thing I can say about his meal is that the fish was delicious! I didn't like the salsa thing very much at all ... but I ate it. Well, alot of ti. OK really just some of it, but enough to know I didn't like it. Also BTW, the fish was rather pricey but I'll let Carol comment on THAT. Oh Yeah, the beans were good. I'd ssy the best part of this meal was my Wine which is why I'm giving it a solid 7 (2 points for the wine)

    ReplyDelete