Monday, April 18, 2011

Recipe #30 - Lemon Tuscan Chicken

_______________________________________________________________________________

I think I'm kinda obsessed with lemony recipes.  I'm just subconsciously drawn towards them and end up adding more fresh squeezed lemon then the recipe calls for. I think it's secretly driving my father crazy.

My friend Monica was sweet enough to send me a few of her favorite recipes and this is one of them. When my girlfriends and I get together, Monica always spoils us with her exemplary culinary skills. It's def one of our favorite parts of getting together.

I bought the chicken at the Whole Foods Market. It was extremely frustrating trying to pick one out. There were three different types of "organic" chickens to choose from. The only real difference I could see was the price. I must have stared at the three of them for a good 30 minutes. I ended up picking the middle priced one, still organic and free range.


I asked the butcher, to prepare the chicken as the recipe listed as a suggestion: Stand the chicken upright and cut out the backbone with a large kitchen knife. Spread the chicken open on a board with the skin side down. Cut around and remove the breast-bone with a boning knife.


Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt on each side. Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a ceramic (or glass) dish just large enough to hold the flattened chicken. Add the chicken, and turn to coat each side of the chicken. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.


When ready to grill, turn a gas grill on low heat. Place chicken skin side up and weight it down with the dish you used for marinating. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. Turn the chicken skin side down, weight again with the dish, and cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Place the lemon halves on the cool side of the grill, cut side down, for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, and serve with the grilled lemon halves.


The chicken took longer to cook then the original recipe stated. I felt like it was because the grill wasn't hot enough. So I ended up having to turn up the heat to medium and leaving them on the grill a bit longer to finish cooking.


It turned out so well! Extremely lemony! I served it with garlic/sour cream mashed potatoes and a mixed green salad with carrots. The grilled lemon is supposed to be for show, but I ended up squeezing some on top about half way through the meal (can't get enough!).

Time: ~1 1/2 hours collectively
Rating: 6.5
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken, flattened
Kosher salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, halved

No comments:

Post a Comment