Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe #20 - Irish Lamb Stew

_______________________________________________________________________________

Getting into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day. I decided to make a traditional Irish recipe. I got the recipe from my next door neighbor, Mrs. Leah Ruddock. She has impeccable taste and a knack for cooking, which I've witnessed time and time again. It was an easy decision to use her recipe over the many I found over the internet or in recipe books.

Brady, Teresa and Brett came into town for St. Patty's Day. It was the guy's spring break, so they all decided to make a trip here to meet the parents and celebrate with us. Now the original recipe calls for beef, but Brett is allergic to beef. Consequently, I substituted lamb, which some of the other Irish stews I researched called for, so I didn't feel like it was too far off target.

I made the recipe the day before St. Patty's Day, cooled, then stored for reheating the next day.



I heated the olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. I bought "Lamb Stew" at the Whole Foods Market, but the pieces were still a little too large. So I cut them down into bite size portions. Lightly salted them. Working in batches (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown), and cook without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then using tongs I turned the pieces over until all sides are browned, about 10 minutes. Then I added the garlic and saute 1 minute. Added the beef stock, Guinness, red wine (I used Dad's home brew - sooo yummy), tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stirred together till combined. Brought mixture to boil. Reduced heat to medium-low, then covered and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


While the meat and stock was simmering, I melted the butter in another large pot over medium heat. Added the potatoes, onions, and carrots. Saute veggies until golden, about 20 minutes. I set them aside until the beef stew in step one had finished simmering.


Next, I added the veggies to the lamb stew. Let simmer uncovered until the veggies and lanb are very tender, about 40 minutes.


If serving right away, discard the bay leaves, tilt pan and spoon off fat. Since I made mine for the next day, I left the bay leaves and fat and discarded them before serving.

To serve: add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with parsley.

Side note in original recipe: Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.

Time: 2 hours
Rating: 8
Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 pounds well marbled lamb stew meat, cut into 1- inch pieces (NOT extra-lean)
6 large garlic cloves, minced
6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
1 cup of Guinness beer
1 cup of fine red wine (in my case, my father's home brew)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 7 cups)
1 large onion, chopped (I used a yellow onion)
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment