Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recipe #16 - Roughbox Steak Marinade

_______________________________________________________________________________

This recipe is straight from the trials and errors of my father. I've seen him work on this since I moved here in August last year. Every time he makes it, it gets a little better. I, of course, didn't mind all the attempts. You can never have too much steak!

I was originally planning on making these for the parentals for their 30th anniversary on Saturday, but they told me the night before that they were going to go out for dinner. So, we decided to have them for dinner on Sunday evening.

I mixed up the marinade Saturday afternoon to allow the steaks to soak for at least 24 hours.


In a large zip-lock baggy, I combined the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, balamin vinegar, olive oil, garlic, onions, thyme, and ginger. Then added the steaks. My meat of choice this time - beef tenderloin. Yum. They weren't cheap either!

After they soaked up the good stuff for a day or so, I began preparing them for the grill.


Pre-heat the grill. Remove the steaks from the zip-lock and place on a plate.


When you bring them out to the grill, make sure to bring an extra clean plate for the when the steaks are finished cooking. Depending on the thickness of the steaks and how well you liked them cooked, leave them on the grill longer. I like mine done medium and the steaks were about 2 inches think, so we cooked them for about 11 minutes on each side.


This is what dad was doing while we waited on the steaks to cook. Lol.


Now when I was mixing up the marinade I added too much lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I was using old measuring cups and the measurements rubbed off some of them. I apparently didn't double check before I started portioning out the liquids. Any who, the steaks were very savory and tender, but maybe a little too lemony. However, I think the added acid helped breakdown the toughness and made the steaks more moist throughout.

I served Recipe #15 - Boiled Red Potatoes and Make-Shift Salad as the sides. I think all-in-all it was a very successful meal. And this steak marinade is def in my Top 25!

Time: 40 mins
Rating: 10
Ingredients:
4 good sized steaks of you choice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 worcestershire sauce
1/4 lemon juice
1/8 olive oil
1/4 balsamic vinegar
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
Onions, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, minced

1 comment:

  1. This amount of marinade works really well for about 2 3 20 oz. steaks. I have put 4 20oz steaks in a 2 1/2 quart ziplock and it has been ok but I put them in the front of the frig and turned the bag a couple of times every time I opened the door. It would probably be better to bump up the ingredients proportionately if you are going to do more than 2 20 - 24 oz steaks.

    ReplyDelete