Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recipe #9 - Green Beans w/ Almonds

_______________________________________________________________________________


To my defense, I was making this the same night as the sliders when the electricity went out. I, fortunately, was able to complete the sliders, but had to stop in the middle of this recipe.

I started by lightly toasting the almond slivers in a dry skillet, stirring constantly because they can burn easily. This takes 3-5 mins. 

Heat butter in skillet over medium-low heat. cook and stir shallots and red bell peppers until softened, about 8 mins. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper to taste and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the shallots caramelize, 5 to 8 minutes.

Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer, and bring the water to a boil. Add the green beans, cover, and steam until just tender enough to pierce with a fork, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the green beans, place them into the skillet with the shallot mixture, mix well, and gently stir in the toasted almonds.


Now, I had to refrigerate the beans and caramelized mixture (due to the power outage) before I could mix them together. So the next day in the daylight, still with no power, thank God for gas stoves, I finished steaming the beans and mixed them together. Topped with the almonds. 


It was surprisingly very bland. I added garlic salt and more pepper once they were on my plate and it helped a bit, but something huge was still missing. I can't tell if it was the two part preparation of the food or if it's lacking more seasoning. Anyways, not my favorite. So the search is still on for a good steamed green bean recipe.

Time: Would have been 40 mins.
Rating: 2
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 5 small shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped

2 comments:

  1. MAKE THESE WITH EVERY MEAL!!!! Delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked your pancakes with my son just this morning! He spilled the almond milk all over the counter and dropped about 4 eggs, but it still worked and he was having fun with me rather than just plopped in front of the tv while I was alone in the kitchen! Pickup Lines Google Gravity Tricks I love you quotes Good Night Quotes

    ReplyDelete