Friday, February 11, 2011

Recipe #3 - Pork Lo Mein

_______________________________________________________________________________

I woke up yesterday morning with a email from Teresa in my inbox titled "Your Next Recipe". It was surprisingly simple to make. The not so simple thing was getting the ingredients. Mom and I drove all the way out to Poplar to the Whole Food Market and they were closed due to the snow the night before. Which actually turned out fine because we got Jimmy Johns right next to it. I've been craving JJ since I left Knoxville last. I can sum up my college experience in one bite of the #10 Big John.  

I digress. Mom and I went out again the next day and spent over an hour picking out organic ingredients and staring at the Olive Bar. Lol. 

I started by cutting the tenderloin in half lengthwise. Then each widthwise into 1/4 inch slices. In a plastic ziplock bag, I combined the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes, then added the pork. Sealed bag, turned to coat, then refrigerated for 20 mins. 

Pork in soy sauce! Yum.
While waiting I began prep on the veggies. I julienned the red peppers. I had to Google what "julienned" meant. It means to cut longwise in very thin slices. I also minced garlic for the first time. I really hate trying to peel the thin layer off each clove. Super annoying. 

Note: After the 20 minutes, start boiling the water for the pasta and then put the meat on the skillet. By the time the meat is done, the water will be boiling and then the pasta is cooked the same time you add the noodles.

In a large non-sitck skillet, I added the sesame oil to coat the pan instead of the cooking spray which was suggested. I read an article saying that cooking spray is in the top ten cancer causing substances that can be easily cut out of our lives. 

So colorful!
Stir-fry pork and marinade for 4-5 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Added the snow peas and red pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in spaghetti and chicken broth; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. And finished! 

Mom and I were the only ones home to eat it, but it was AMAZING. Mom wants to give a 10 out of 10 and I'm very tempted to agree with her. I really was good. The pork was perfectly tender and the soy mixed with the red pepper, just bursts in your mouth. It was just spicy enough to make my nose run, but didn't have running for for the sink

The End.
Rating: 10
Time: 40 mins
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
1 - 1 pound pork tenderloin
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups fresh snow peas
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned 
3 cups cooked thin spaghetti 
1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 comment:

  1. Other than having to pick out the green things and the red stuff I loved this dish. The pork was very tender and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete