Thursday, July 21, 2011

Recipe #44 - Chunky Guacamole with Serrano Peppers

_______________________________________________________________________________

I was recently getting a mani and pedi and began flipping through a magazine where I came across a recipe from Eva Longoria's "Health Food Tips and Recipes". This literally made me Laugh Out Loud. Though I highly doubt Ms. Longoria came up with this recipe, let alone cooks at all, I thought it looked pretty yummy and yes... healthy. 

She was pictured in in her way too amazingly designed kitchen, wearing her 4 inch high heels. Totally unrealistic - right? Maybe, but I thought I'd give it a go. I just bought a pair of heels that I needed to break in, so what better timeo t do it than cooking an Eva Longoria recipe. I didn't break them in all the way, but I definitely got some laughs from my mother when she popped in the kitchen halfway through the recipe.


Believe it or not, everything pictured is organic. Especially the tomatos. I picked them fresh from my father's garden right before I cut them up. They are ripening faster than I can find recipes to cook them! 


Place all the ingredients except salt in a bowl. Stir very gently until well combined. Add sale to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. 


Quick. Easy. Healthy. The first night I ate it out of a bowl like a salad. It was good, but a little too (I can't believe I'm about to say this) lemony for me. Today, I tried eating it like a dip and used tortilla chips. The lemon seemed to settle a bit overnight and the chips seemed like the perfect way to go. So I think I would rename this "Chunky Guacamole Dip". Not to down grade to serrano peppers - they definitely added a much needed (yummy) kick to the bland taste of avocados.

Tip: To keep the guacamole from turning brown, press a pit from one of the avocados into the center of the dish. Remove it before serving.  

Rating: 7
Time: 35 minutes 
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
6 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 medium ripe tomatos, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 serrano pepper, finely minced
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons salt to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment