Monday, December 5, 2011

Recipe #87 - Memphis Bell Pecan Pie

_______________________________________________________________________________

I thought I'd give our traditional Thanksgiving dessert a little spin this year. This is a recipe that they use at Flight as one of their gourmet desserts. The pecans where all hand picked from the pecan trees in my parents' back yard and hand shelled by yours truly. 


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix all of the ingredients except the pecans and chocolate in a medium sized bowl. 


Place the pecans in a zip lock baggy (save a few back for decorating the top of the pie) and crush however you like. My mom uses a rolling pin. I used a hammer ;)


Place the chocolate and crushed pecans in the bottom of the pie crust. I recommend putting the chocolate down first, because I didn't and it tried to float to the top of the mixture after I poured it in. 


Pour mixture into the crust. 


Decorate the top with the left over whole pecans. Wrap the crust with aluminum foil to keep the crust from burning. Place the pie in the oven for 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove the aluminum foil about ten minutes before the pie is done. 

I didn't get a finished picture of this unfortunately. Just picture the one above, but perfectly golden and amazing :) Because that is how it turned out. Perfect. I served it, like they do at Flight, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

I've never been a fan of pecan pie until now. The sweetness of the chocolate took the edge off the bitterness that the pecans usually have naturally.

Rating: 10 (I'll def make this again next year.)
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Serves: 6-8 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 ounce melted butter
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
8 ounces pecans
3 ounces chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment