Saturday, January 14, 2012

Recipe #100 - Reservations

_____________________________________________________


For my 100th (and final) recipe, 
I'm going to make....

RESERVATIONS!
(Can you blame me? It's my birthday!)


A year ago today, I set out on this crazy cooking journey. I really didn't know what to expect and I really didn't know what I was getting in to. I can honestly say that with every recipe I've not only learned something new about cooking, but I've also learned something new about myself. Whether it was a new ability that I didn't know that I possessed (like chopping vegetables quickly and efficiently) or a new emotion I didn't know I was capable of (like feeling immensely sad for deveining a shrimp... poor little guys).

My Year of 25 has led me to new friendships. I found myself having something to talk to almost anyone about. It took me by surprise each time. I had really never been able to converse with anyone on a more intellectual level about cooking. My favorite memory was a week before Thanksgiving, I was trying on shoes at Kohls. A lady was trying on a pair next to me and the next thing I knew, we are switching recipes and exchange contact information! And that is just one of the many.

I've created irreplaceable memories. I couldn't, and by couldn't - I mean I won't, tell you how absolutely entertaining it is to watch me in the kitchen (though I'm sure my father would love to share a few stories!) I don't think I made it through a single recipe flawlessly. We all laughed and teased and joked the whole year. When we were all in the kitchen preparing a meal, we were always happy.

Now my final task will be to pick my Top 25 recipes and create a small recipe book for my friends, family and followers. If you would like to request a copy, you may do so by emailing me at MyYearof25@gmail.com. I will also make a last post listing the lucky recipes that make it on the list!

-----

I would like to thank everyone that sent in recipes, spent hours helping research recipes, commented and gave me advice along the way. I have become a more rounded and better cook because of you.

A special thanks to my wonderful parents (aka my sous chefs!) My father, for cutting 97% of all onions that appear in this blog (so that I didn't have to) and choosing some of the more challenging recipes (though I could have choked him at the time). My mother, for her patience (especially when I turned her kitchen upside down with practically every recipe) and for teaching me a lot of our traditional family recipes, so that I can pass them down to my kids one day. 

Without them, My Year of 25 would not have been possible.

Fin!
__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment