Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Recipe #60 - Smoked Salmon Terrine w/ Dill and Capers

_______________________________________________________________________________

I think it's about time for another appetizer! I found this one in a copy of Bon Appetit Magazine. I ripped out the article and have been carrying around with me for 4 months now. I finally had enough people in town to cook it for last weekend when my brother and his girlfriend came into town. 

Start by lining a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with  plastic wrap, leaving overhang. 


Using electric mixture, blend first cream cheese, onion, dill, capers, and lemon juice and chopped salmon in large bowl. 


Spread 1/3 cheese mixture evenly in pan. Top with 1/2 of sliced salmon, 1/3 of cheese mixture, remaining salmon, then remaining cheese mixture. Cover; chill at least 4 hours and up to 2 days. 


Turn terrine out onto platter. Serve with baguette slices or cracker. I toasted my baguette slices in the oven on broil to add a little crunch. You can start this one day ahead. Garnish the terrine with dill springs, capers, and red onion, if desired.


This recipe had a suggested paired cocktail recipe called "Blood Orange Champagne Cocktail". Though the idea behind it was clever, it was a little too orangey for me. And I'm not sure that went well with the salmon. I think if I made it again, I would have added a little more champagne and less orange juice. However, the salmon terrine was amazing. I'm not sure why it says to layer the cheese mixture like it does, because when you spread it on the toast it all mixes to together. If I make it again, I will probably just fold in the chopped salmon, stirring gently. 

Rating:
Time: 45 minutes; plus what ever time you choose for refrigeration 
Serves: 24
Ingredients: 
For the smoked salmon terrine
4 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup drained capers
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
12 ounces smoked salmon slices; 6 ounces chopped, 6 ounces left sliced 
Toasted baguette slices or crackers

For the cocktail
1 cup fresh blood orange juice
1 cup Ciontreau or other orange liqueur
1 750-ml bottle of chilled Champagne or sparkling wine
Stir juice and Ciontreau in medium pitcher; cover and chill until cold. Divide amonge Champagne coupes. Garnish with each drink with an orange peel twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment