Friday, November 11, 2011

Recipe #80 - Super Bowl Snacks: Hot Bacon-Blue Cheese Dip

_______________________________________________________________________________

I originally bought the ingredients to this recipe for a football game. A kinda of tail gating dip if you will. However, I got behind so I made it as an appetizer for one of my entrees.


In a large skillet, fry the bacon over moderate over moderate heat till almost crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble coarsely. 


Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet, add the onion, and stir 3 minutes. 


Add the flour and stir 3 minutes longer. Whisking, add the milk and beer, then add the Worcestershire and cayenne. Bring mixture to a low boil, whisking, cook for 2 minutes, and remove from the heat. 


Add the bacon and blue cheese and stir till the cheese is melted. 


Transfer the dip to a small bowl and serve with pita chips or bread sticks. 

Now I'm not the biggest blue cheese fan (unless it's in an olive). Teresa was the one that convinced me to make this recipe. I couldn't get over how overwhelming the taste of the blue cheese was. I couldn't even get past the second chip, so I'm not the the best to one to judge this recipe. However, everyone else inhaled it. For me the only redeeming quality was the bacon!

Rating: I would say 3, but the blue cheese lovers would say a lot higher. 
Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients:
6 thick slices lean smoked bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup lager beer
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Cayenne pepper to taster
1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled
Your favorite breadsticks

No comments:

Post a Comment